- Ferguson courts warrant recall program gets silent start
- Ferguson’s reach: A shot felt in South Africa
- Bernice King, daughter of MLK, broadens push for nonviolence
- Protesters assaulted at Ferguson Farmer’s Market (storify)
- Protests continue: (1) (storify)
- New community center opens this weekend in Ferguson
I go home to the coast
It starts to rain I paddle out on the water
Taste the salt and taste the pain
I’m not thinking of you again
Summer dies and swells rise
The sun goes down in my eyes
See this rolling wave
Darkly coming to take me
And I’ve never been so alone
And I’ve never been so alive
In recent years personal care brand Dove has advertised its products in a campaign known as Real Beauty, where women of all shapes and sizes have appeared.This campaign has received a lot of positive criticism and I personally applaud them for making different types of bodies more visible in advertising. But despite their efforts to empower women, Dove is still really just reproducing the same message advertising has been telling women for generations: Your physical appearance is your most important quality.
For example, Dove’s Movement for Self-Esteem, a project with the aim to boost the confidence of young girls, based their mission on a survey that concludes that “only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful" and "only 11% of girls globally are comfortable describing themselves as ‘beautiful’”. That’s not very happy news, but is it really that important? What if the other 89% are comfortable with describing themselves as intelligent, talented, confident, strong, etc?
In the words of WMC's Rikki Rogers:
Dove and Pantene continue to equate the pursuit of beauty with the pursuit of happiness and confidence, making a direct connection with exterior appearances and interior fulfillment. According to their ads, “looking confident” and “feeling beautiful” are really half the battle. A woman’s appearance is still a critical component of her strength and authority, and there’s nothing empowering about that message.
Despite using non-models in their advertising campaigns, Dove is still convincing women that they need to feel beautiful and then exploiting that artifical need in order to sell their products. Further, Dove is owned by Unilever, which also owns Lynx/Axe that advertises its products like this:
Social conscience or inventive marketing strategy? You tell me.